it's no longer a 秘密

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Sometimes it'd be nice to be blind...

Yup. i'm talking about Bay 2 Breakers. It was quite a memorable experience.

Let's start at the beginning. Mimi and I stayed up at Myron's place Saturday night. We drove up to SF, staked out a parking spot near Footstock and then retired early. Woke up at 6am Sunday and went to Myron's parents' restaurant for a nice, big breakfast before the race, then walked over to the start line (just 10 mins. away!). It was pretty impossible to avoid being hit by flying tortillas while we waited for the start gun, and it was equally impossible to get very annoyed about it cuz the atmosphere was so festive and you knew it was just in good fun. I even made sure to throw one to complete my experience. I'm happy to say that my frisbee-throwing abilities haven't totally gone out the window! :)

After the race started, there was a bit of a wait before we finally made it to the start line, and then another longer wait (~30 mins) cuz my sister's friends were running late. But that was cool, cuz it gave us a chance to see more of the ppl at the back of the pack...the total party-ers who were just there to drink & have fun. There was one group that had a huge straw hut bar float set up with bartenders inside serving mixed drinks and beer and a big stereo system blasting the tunes. And a huge mass of blue hawaiian shirted people pulling the float along and drinking out of coconut shells. Very cool. :) There was also some guy with a megaphone on the sidelines giving commentary. One time, he saw a naked guy who musta been hard (i inadvertently caught a glimpse, ick) and was like "that is the biggest one i've seen so far". Hilarious. Our motto soon became "don't look back" because of all the naked people. But I must admit to being surprised that it's not just gross old men who go naked, but quite a few young, well-built guys were showing it all as well. Which made seeing some naked bottoms easier to bare. =P hee hee

We soon discovered that having such a big breakfast so soon before the race made running very difficult, so we walked the first like 1.5 miles and then jogged a little to the beginning of the big incline at Hayes Street. We mostly walked after that until we got to the park and tried to run the last 2.5 miles. It was so crowded, that we had to weave in and out of the walkers. And imagine, to my surprise, who I saw sitting on the sidelines, on a blanket inthe grass, looking quite comfy and happily snapping away at the weird costumes? Sharon and Ishi!! And they didn't even see me (even after I called out their names several times). I eventually had to run back and stop in front of them to get their attention! Myron, Mimi and I ran a little longer (enough to get a picture of us all running together at the 6/7-mile point) and then walked to the finish. :) I think our official time was like 2:40 (including all the wait times and stuff).

We didn't stick around at Footstock very long. Just long enough to grab our T-shirts and as much free stuff as possible. Then we proceeded to pig out...majorly! We went to a cheap chinese restaurant for chow fun, then got baked BBQ pork buns, and finally, to Mitchell's for ice cream. That ice cream was SOOOOOOooo good. And they give you a HUGE scoop for just $2.50. :) Then, we went back to Myron's and snacked on cheese puffs, chocolate almond clusters, and cookies till dinner, when we went to his family's restaurant and sam & mom came up to meet us for a huge meal. Needless to say, on Monday, I discovered that I'd gained 3lbs in addition to the muscle soreness! But it was TOTALLY worth it and I'd do it again! :D

Ok. that post was hecka long. I guess that makes up for the week+ silence! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home