it's no longer a 秘密

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

How big are we?

I recently went to a Chris Tomlin concert (he's a Christian artist) where a guy named Louie Giglio gave a short talk in the middle that really opened my eyes to how big I really am.

The universe we live in is HUGE. It's many billions of light years across. And the galaxy we live in, the Milky Way, is just one of the billions (100 billion can be seen by telescopes so far!) in the universe. And the little group of star & planets we call the solar system is just a tiny part of the 200 billion stars that make up the Milky Way. And the planet we live on? Why, it's nothing but a pale blue speck of dust (blow up the jpg to full size and look for the dot in the right-most streak of light). Just think. All the world's population of about 6,450,000,000 fit on that little dot. So how big am I? What's smaller than a speck?

It's a really humbling thought. I always imagine God as big, but not that big. Maybe a little bigger than Hagrid (from Harry Potter). But as the creator of the universe, He's gotta be pretty darned big. Definitely big enough to hold earth between two of His fingers. Now that's pretty awesome. And it reminds me that God can't be cubby-holed by me or anyone. He is who He is and not what I imagine Him to be. That's reassuring cuz my imagination's pretty limited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home